Sunday, August 23, 2020

Set free for ministry: Proper 16, Year A

The readings for today are found here: The Lectionary Page.


I’m about to say something I rarely say: I’m not a big fan of today’s Gospel. It feels scandalous to say it out loud. Usually, I’m declaring the Gospel my favorite or one of my favorites but not today. Indeed, I spent most of the week trying to craft a sermon on Isaiah or Romans. I even considered preaching the other option for our Hebrew Scripture text this morning (the wonderful story of the five bold women who prepare the way for Moses’ leadership in Exodus 1). And then, on my walk Friday morning, I found myself leaning in to today’s Gospel.


When I listen to the reading from Matthew, my mind lingers on Peter. The problem is I’m not a big fan of Peter’s. I mean, I know I didn’t know him in real life; and, I’m sure he was a great guy. I simply prefer Jesus. And this story, too many times, even by title “Peter’s Confession” puts Peter at the center of the story. I often feel our interpretations of this story focus too much on Peter and not enough on Jesus.


This week, though, I began to wonder what Jesus is up to. Why ask the disciples, or Peter, this question: Who do people say that I am? Why does the question matter? Is this a quiz or, as my Old Testament professor used to say: a guess what the teacher is thinking question? Is he interviewing Peter? What would have happened if Peter’s answer was wrong? Of course, that wouldn’t have happened,or, even if it did, Matthew would not have told us. Matthew’s intent is to lift Peter up: the head of the church, the foundational rock. Matthew, the Gospel writer, includes the question because Peter’s answer gives him authority. Why, though, does Jesus ask the question(s): Who do people say that I am? Who do you say that I am?


Consider the question: who do we say that Jesus is? On any given day, who knows what our answer might be: Moses, Elijah, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. On another day, we might respond: Emmanuel, Incarnate Word, or Resurrected Christ. Names we find in the Gospels. Or on another day, we might call Jesus the Good Shepherd, the Good Samaritan, or the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Names Jesus uses for himself. If Jesus stood before us today and asked “who do you say that I am,” how would we answer?


Growing up, my religious experience was in a nice Episcopal bubble. I knew kids at school went to other churches and youth groups, and I never paid much attention. I was quite happy at my church with my people. We named Jesus as our friend, comfort, and guide. And I don’t remember ever talking about Jesus outside of church. 


College was when my religious experience widened. I attended a state liberal arts college. In class, the Bible was studied as literature not Holy Scripture. My fellow students were mostly either atheists, agnostic, or Baptist. I spent a lot of time listening as my classmates argued either for or against God and Jesus. For some, Jesus was the only path to salvation, the guarantee of eternal life with God. For others, Jesus was no more than another man for history books. Those years I talked more about Jesus with those outside the church than in the church.


Then, my second Junior year of college (yes, I had a second Junior year), I had the opportunity to study in Northern Ireland. There, I found myself welcomed by the Christian Union. These students invited me into their community and encouraged my faith. 


This was a group of young people who knew the grace and mercy of Jesus in their lives. Their one goal was to share that love with the world. There was no denominational bubble. There was only the love of Christ for the world. 


My faith was renewed and enriched. I began to know Jesus as more than a man of history, more than a friend. I came to know Jesus: the Messiah, the Incarnate Word, the Son of the living God. With this experience, I bound myself to Jesus’ way of life. My faith in Jesus began to root me in Jesus’ love for creation. Yes, my faith in Christ bound me to his resurrection, raising me to a new life. Now, my faith deepened as I sought practices of grace and mercy. As I followed this way, I began to build a foundation, a rock, for my faith and ministry. I discovered that I, like Peter, held the keys to the kin_dom. Following Christ, the son of the living God, liberated me for ministry as a beloved child of God.


Who do you say that I am is a question of faith and personal piety. Our answer reveals our belief about the nature and character of Christ. 


Who do you say that I am is also an invitation. Our answer evokes ministry in Christ’s name. If Jesus is a good man, then we can be good - like him. If Jesus is a friend and companion, we are friends and companions. Today, though Jesus enriches our lives, invites us closer to the presence of God in our lives. 


The Gospel is clear: Jesus is the Son of the living God. This belief transforms us. It means that we, bound to Christ’s life, are children, beloved and chosen, of God: a God who is alive in us and our world. We no longer live for ourselves. We are no longer bound by duty or a moral obligation. Now, the love of God is revealed in the life and ministry of Christ in our lives. God’s grace and mercy, revealed in Christ, sets us free to love and serve all God’s children.


Today, Jesus liberates Peter for ministry. When Peter names Jesus, he binds himself to Jesus’ way of life. In turn, Jesus names Peter: identifying his faithfulness as a beloved child of the living God. Peter’s experiences of Christ’s ministry give him the keys to God’s kin_dom: God’s living love, grace, and mercy revealed in Jesus.


We, like Peter, are set free for ministry, no matter our circumstance. Of course, we yearn to be together. We miss the presence of God we experience when we are together. The question some of us are asking is: What does it mean to be church, to experience God’s kin_dom when we cannot be together? One answer is in our Gospel today. As Christ gives Peter the keys of the kin_dom, they are dropped into our open hearts and hands. We, children of the living God, have all we need to be Christ’s hands and heart in the world. If we believe in a living, loving God revealed in Christ, then we have confidence that God is with us. We have the power to share that love with the world. 


May we name Christ Son of the Living God. May we, by the ministry of Christ, experience God’s grace and mercy in our own lives. May we enact the presence of a living God in our community: loving our neighbors, practicing forgiveness, and seeking Christ in everyone we meet.


Peace be with you,

Amy+

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Second Sunday of Epiphany, Year B: Who and Whose We Are

Our lectionary, the appointed Scriptures used in worship, provides a nice frame for our life together. We know we can walk into almost any E...